Friday, September 9, 2011

Eating Out and Saving Money

Are you like me and do you find yourself eating out a lot with the family? We don't do it that often, but in this summer heat and the crazy busy weekends we tend to have we find ourselves picking stuff up out and about more often than we normally would.

So while sometimes I make sure to hit the grocery store for a full and complete shopping trip, recipes planned for the week ahead and all (because honestly there's nothing easier than tacos and frozen pizza - sometimes!), there are other days where I find the money sliding out of my account more quickly than I can imagine.

And I am always looking for ways to save, so I figured I'd share some ideas with all of you ...

First and foremost, it's essential to look for those Kids Eat Free deals. It's not always the place you feel like eating at, but if you can do it - DO IT. Chick-fil-a on Tuesdays has kids eating free, and did you know that if you trade in your kids' meal toy they get an ice cream? And it's not just a small tiny scoop, either. It's the real deal. Last time we went kiddo got her choice of toppings. I mean, seriously? How can you beat that?

I know that places like Moe's also have free kids night, as do Backyard Burger (newly advertised!), and Twisted Fork has kids eat free after 4pm on Sundays! And oh my goodness, for those weeknights when it's just too danged hot to cook? Torero's Mexican Restaurants have kids eat free Monday through Thursday nights! What? That's insane. But totally amazing news!

Fat Daddy's has a great 99c kids' meal which is large enough to feed an adult, honestly. And most of these places usually have child-friendly entertainment at their locations, as well, to keep the kids busy while mom and dad eat their dinner.

Another way that I tend to save money is my trusty CitiPass book. There are loads of coupons in there, and there are also plenty that I don't use. So I try to approach local moms (especially on TriangleMommies) and we do lots of coupon swaps. So if there is a restaurant in Holly Springs I likely won't get to, and there's one closer to me you won't see, either, we can make an excellent trade and I'm going to happily go there and get one entree for free after I purchase the first one!

This next suggestion might not work for some places, but I have the best find in buying myself a kids' meal at Pei Wei. They have no problem with my purchasing the kids' chicken lo mein, which actually tastes better than the adult one (less odd spices, I guess) and is way cheaper. It's a smaller serving, but it suits me just fine, and I recommend considering it for yourself, as well. Places like Cracker Barrel will also serve adults off the kids' menu, for no extra charge. What a steal!

And an option for those who might want a smaller serving and find themselves not in the mood for leftovers is to ask if you can order a half order/plate. I do that at IHOP all the time as I'm usually not going to get myself four large pancakes for breakfast. And pancakes don't reheat all that well after hanging out on the plate for a bit. And if a half-serving doesn't work, why not check out the a la carte menu? Restaurants like Bob Evans have that available and you can order that way any time of the day.

Now I know some of these places may be local to me, but there have to be opportunities to save this way by you, too. Just look into the details. Don't be afraid to ASK questions. These restaurants want you to take advantage of these deals, because it's going to bring you back and have you ordering your grown up meals for yourself, and maybe even a drink or two!

So head on out ... and be sure to report back on your findings and experience. It's info we absolutely NEED to share with one another. Because seriously -- in this heat -- who really wants to turn the oven on every night?

-- NOT ME!

Andrea blogs regularly over at http://goodgirlgoneredneck.blogspot.com - she is a SAHM who enjoys reading, writing and lots and lots of ice cream! You can also find her on twitter @goodgirlgonered.

0 comments:

Follow Us

Followers

TMN Blog Roll